Man charged with assault after Cork incident
A man has appeared in court charged with assault following an incident in Co Cork earlier this week which left a 29-year-old man in a critical condition.
Ricardo Hoey, 19, with an address at Ardcarrig, Carrigaline, Co Cork, was brought before a special sitting of Mallow District Court this morning.
He is charged with assaulting a man at Glenwood in Carrigaline on Wednesday evening, causing him harm.
After an incident in the Glenwood estate at about 5.45pm, the injured party was treated at the scene by paramedics before being brought by ambulance from Glenwood to Cork University Hospital.
He underwent emergency surgery for a serious head injury and remains in a critical condition.
A man was arrested on Wednesday evening in relation to the incident and questioned at Togher Garda Station in Cork city under the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.
At the court sitting in Mallow today, Detective Garda Declan Healy said that he charged Ricardo Hoey last night with assault causing harm.
The accused made no reply to the charge.
Inspector Tony O’Sullivan asked for a remand to Cork District Court next week and said there is no State objection to bail, subject to a number of conditions.
These include that the accused signs on at Togher Garda Station three times a week, observe a nightly curfew at his residence at Ardcarrig where he lives with his mother, not apply for a passport or any other travel documentation, and avoid contact with the injured party and a list of named witnesses.
Judge Joanne Carroll remanded the accused on bail subject to these conditions to appear at Cork District Court on 5 January.
She granted legal aid following an application by the accused’s solicitor, Aoife Buttimer.